Fishing is one of the most well-liked past times on the planet, but it may not be simple to find a trolling motor that is compatible with your pontoon boat. A baitcasting reel is one method that can be utilized.
You will need a trolling motor in order to get your pontoon boat within casting distance of the fish; however, the majority of trolling motors are either too weak or too loud to be effective.
Because of this, catching a fish might become more difficult, or even worse, the fish might decide to swim away.
This is where The 6 Best Trolling Motors for Pontoon Boats come into play, so let's get right to it.
After conducting extensive market research, we were able to identify the pontoon fishing trolling motors that are the most effective.
Every one of our motors is constructed using a one-of-a-kind design that allows you to reel in more fish with less effort.
In addition, each of them is potent enough and low enough in volume that you can enjoy the experience without any concerns.
So, whether you're a beginner or an experienced fisherman, trust us to find the perfect trolling motor for your needs.
When you are shopping for a trolling motor, you will want to ensure that the one you buy has a horsepower rating that is commensurate with both your requirements and your spending limit.
In addition to this, it is essential to take into consideration the kind of fishing that you intend to do with it.
It is common to practice to use trolling motors when fishing (see also 'Open-Face Reel: Everything You Need To Know') in open waters such as lakes and oceans; however, these motors can also be utilized when fishing in waters that are relatively close to shore.
When shopping for a trolling motor, it is essential to consider the following specifications: power (in watts), weight (in pounds), gear range (in feet per revolution), shaft size (in inches or millimeters), propeller size, and type, and options for adjusting the speed.
You need to figure out how frequently you intend to use the trolling motor in addition to deciding whether an electric or gas engine would be more suitable for your needs.
Last but not least, before making your purchase, you should definitely take the time to read some reviews first so that you can get an idea of what other people's experiences have been like with this specific model.
Top 6 Trolling Motors
OUR TOP PICK
The Minn Kota, Riptide Saltwater Hand-Steer Transom-Mount Trolling Motor with Digital Maximizer & Power Prop, is our first recommendation for today.
When it comes to bringing in large fish, pontoon boats that could use a little more power will benefit significantly from installing this trolling motor.
This trolling motor has a thrust of 55 pounds and a shaft that is 36 inches long; it will have no trouble getting your boat as close to the fish as possible while also reducing the amount of resistance.
In addition, its digital maximizer ensures that you get the most out of your batteries by simultaneously boosting both speed and power, which allows you to get the most out of every charge.
- Quick-Release Lever Lock: A secure 10-position bracket with reinforced composite material that prevents flexing, warping, and UV deterioration comes equipped with a quick-release lever lock.
- Six-inch telescoping tiller: With the six-inch telescoping tiller, you'll get easy, comfortable, and intuitive trolling motor operation. These variable-speed trolling motors provide only as much power as you need, allowing you to adjust your precise speed for a full day of fishing.
- Riptide motor lower unit housings are grit blasted and coated in aluminum to prevent oxidation and rust, which is superior corrosion protection.
- Power Prop: This prop boosts power to push through dense vegetation for 3-1/4" motor diameters. A prop pin, nut, and washer are included. ons
- The most expensive out of today's picks
- Reports of high vibration levels from the motor.
The Newport Vessels Kayak Series 36lb/55lb Thrust Transom Mounted Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor with LED Battery Indicator comes in at number two on our list of recommendations for the day (24" Shaft).
This trolling motor is ideal for use in recreational kayaks and smaller pontoon boats that could benefit from having a little bit more power to navigate the waves.
This trolling motor has a 36-pound thrust and a 24-inch shaft, which will allow you to easily pull your boat in close to the fish while minimizing the amount of resistance you encounter.
In addition, it has an LED battery indicator that ensures you are always aware of how much juice is still left in your batteries, allowing you to remain outside for a more extended period of time.
- Kayak Shaft: A 24-inch fiberglass shaft allows for variable depth placement while providing dependable performance for a lifetime.
- Variable Speed: 8 Variable Speeds (5 Forward & 3 Reverse) With a 6-inch telescoping handle, you have complete control over your ride.
- Saltwater Rated: Saltwater Rated All Aluminum Motor Head With Corrosion-Resistant Magnesium, Zinc, And Stainless-Steel Hardware (Lead-Acid Dc 12V)
- Battery Cables with Extra Long Legs: 5'6" Battery Cables Allow for a Wide Range of Battery Positioning for Optimal Weight Distribution
- One of the more affordable options
- Excellent Battery life
- Users report feedback about needing a rudder
The Watersnake T24 ASP electric trolling motor will take its place in third place today.
This device is excellent for use in kayaks and smaller pontoon boats that could benefit from a little more power to navigate through waves, and it is ideal for use in both of those types of vessels.
Because it has a 36-pound thrust and a 24-inch shaft, it enables you to easily pull your boat in close to the fish while reducing the amount of resistance that you encounter.
In addition, it has an LED battery indicator that ensures you are always aware of how much charge is left in your batteries, which enables you to remain outside for more extended periods of time than you would have been able to otherwise.
- The Watersnake Saltwater Electric Outboard Motor is the ultimate in lightweight portability, weighing only 4.85lbs (2.2kg). Watersnake's basic design reduces weight while delivering quality and performance. This makes it perfect for transporting.
- Due to how compact its designed It is the ideal trolling motor for kayaks, canoes (see also 'The Top 5 Canoe Dollies On The Market Today'), small dinghies, and inflatable boats. Please be aware that the battery is not included.
- The 24" shaft, adjustable mount fitting for convenient installation, and anti-impact clip mechanism. This easy-to-use motor features a hand tiller with an extensible handle, high and low-speed control, a forward and reverse button and a two-blade weedless propeller design.
- Electric motor with 24lbs thrust, Kayak Bracket Mount included.
- Necessity is the mother of invention. Anglers made it for anglers. If you are dissatisfied with your Watersnake Electric Motor, contact your distributor immediately.
- Lightweight and portable
- Compatible with a variety of boats
- Design features easy access to all controls
- High and low-speed control for optimum trolling performance Cons
- Not the most affordable
The AQUOS Haswing Black Cayman 24V 80lbs 54inch Bow Mount Electric Trolling Motor is the latest addition to our lineup.
This trolling motor is ideal for bass fishing boats (see also 'Converting A Jon Boat To A Bass Boat') as well as any other small vessel you may own due to its portability, ease of use, and lightweight design.
The AQUOS Haswing Black Cayman 24V 80lbs 54inch Bow Mount Electric Trolling Motor is sure to supply you with all of the power you require while you are out on your next excursion because it comes equipped with variable speed control that is operated by a foot pedal.
- Saltwater and freshwater trolling motor Haswing Cayman 24V 80LBS 54" Shaft. Variable speed improves control and precision. Variable-speed motors consume less power, extending battery life—4000 lb trolling motor.
- The remote is palm-sized and lanyard-friendly. Recharge the remote with a USB cable on a power bank from 164 feet away. The 14.7 ft cable wired foot control is precise and easy to use. Quick-release brackets simplify motor installation/removal.
- The cruise control uses a remote to adjust the boat's speed. You can focus on fishing, but wind or current may require manual corrections. Reversing the engine flips the boat.
- Cayman 80LBS 54 Shaft A bow mount trolling motor is corrosion-resistant thanks to a sacrificial anode. 54-inch Aluminum Alloy Shaft (also 44.3 inches) fits many boats. Hold the motor shaft to prevent sliding when adjusting depth.
- An ergonomic handle makes motor removal easy. One hand or foot can press the stow and deploy the pedal, saving strength for big fish: Easy-to-use and secure depth collar. Lock your motor in depth.
- This trolling motor is corrosion-resistant
- The handle makes it easy to remove the engine from your boat
- It has an in-depth lock feature that prevents you from accidentally moving it while fishing
- The cruise control uses a remote, so you can focus on fishing without having to adjust the speed manually
- It is not the quietest trolling motor on the market
- The cord can be a bit short
A robust trolling motor that is ideal for anglers who want to take on large fish is the Minn Kota Maxxum Bowmount Trolling Motor with Hand/Foot Control.
This motor can be mounted on a bow or stern mount (see also 'Stern Of A Boat Or Ship—What And Where Is It? (see also 'Stern Of A Boat Or Ship—What And Where Is It?. This trolling motor has an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to remove the engine from your boat.
It also has an in-depth lock feature that prevents you from accidentally moving it while you are fishing.
Both of these features make it simple to remove the motor from your boat.
A cruise control feature is included as standard on the Minn Kota Maxxum Bowmount Trolling Motor with Hand/Foot Control.
This allows you to concentrate on fishing without having to adjust the trolling speed manually.
- Bowguard 360° Breakaway Mount: Breaks away on impact, then automatically resets itself, allowing you to continue fishing while protecting your trolling motor or boat. It even detaches for added portability.
- Digital Maximizer: Increases battery life by up to 5 times on a single charge. These variable-speed trolling motors allow you to dial in your exact speed and deliver only the power you require, allowing you to save your battery for a full day of fishing.
- Heel-Toe / Cable-Steer Foot Pedal: This ultra-responsive foot pedal gives you heel/toe control of your motor, as well as speed control and momentary and constant on/off. For unrivaled durability, it is made of a high-impact composite material.
- Prop: Weedless Wedge 2 The Weedless Wedge 2 is one of the most trusted fishing props, with swept-back flared blades to power through anything without battery-draining chopping and hacking.
- Hand & Foot Control
- Top Rated
- Highend Price Range
The final trolling motor on our list today is the exceptional Haswing Cayman 24V.
Sporting some features only found in high-end trolling motors, such as a GPS Anchor Mode, this one comes at an affordable price.
Once you get out on the water and you’ve found a spot to fish, you can link up the motor with your phone, or other smart device, and keep your boat in position.
Then, it’s just a matter of casting out and getting the catch of the day. This GPS anchor mode is easily activated using the remote control or with a smart device.
It is worth noting, however, that some users have found the GPS anchor to be a little unreliable.
Reports of it disconnecting from the app can be pretty frustrating whilst out on your pontoon.
However, you can contact Haswing and customer service will help in whatever way possible.
There are a few packages you can choose from with this trolling motor.
For a little extra money, the kit comes with a remote and/or foot pedal (you can opt for both). Therefore, you have a number of control options at all times.
The Haswing Cayman 24v trolling motor has a great deal of thrust. Boasting 80 pounds of thrust, this is enough to propel your pontoon over strong currents and withstand strong winds.
Many trolling motors that have the Spot-Lock feature are far pricier than this model. Therefore, it is great value for money.
This is mainly down to the fact that Haswing is yet to make a significant name for itself in the trolling motors industry. However, early reviews are mostly positive, helping put customer’s minds at ease.
- Different volts available to suit the power you require. The volts are 12, 24, and 36.
- Comes with a remote option to control the anchor of the trolling motor. This can be activated via an app on your smart device or through a foot control.
- Different shaft lengths of 45 inches, 54 inches, and 60 inches.
- Great deal of thrust, with models ranging from 55 pounds to 112 pounds.
- Great value for money
- Easy to control
- GPS Anchor Mode available to drop anchor and keep your pontoon in the same position
- The GPS anchor mode can be a little unreliable when used with the app
When looking to buy a trolling motor for fishing from a pontoon boat, it is essential to take into consideration the species of fish you intend to pursue as well as the range over which you will use the motor.
For instance, if you are fishing for largemouth bass or bluegills in freshwater streams and rivers, you might be able to get away with using a more modestly sized motor.
On the other hand, if you intend to fish in saltwater reservoirs or ocean waters, you will likely need a larger trolling motor that has a higher horsepower rating.
When shopping for a trolling motor, speed control features are an additional essential component to take into consideration.
The digital controls found on many of today's models give users the ability to customize travel speeds according to the terrain and weather (i.e., slow cruising around obstructions for baitfish activity, the fast pursuit of large game fish species).
This can help maximize performance while reducing fuel consumption at the same time.
In addition to this, check to see that your trolling motor comes with full warranties, which will ensure that you will always have someone available to replace or repair it in the event that it breaks down.
When you go out on the open water in search of those juicy catch limits, increasing your chances of success by taking all of these considerations into account before making your purchase decision will help you achieve the highest possible level of success.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Fast Can My Pontoon Boat Go With A Trolling Motor?
When equipped with a trolling motor, certain pontoon boats are capable of reaching speeds of up to 30 miles per hour.
What Size Trolling Motor Do I Need For A 20-Foot Pontoon Boat?
You will require either a 25 or 32-pound motor to complete this task.
Do I Need A Battery With My Trolling Motor?
The answer is no most of the time; however, if you plan to use your trolling motor for extended periods of time or in locations that see a lot of foot traffic, it is recommended that you have a battery with recently been charged on hand.
Can A Trolling Motor Be Used On A Pontoon Boat?
As long as it is correctly attached to the pontoon boat, a trolling motor can be used on the vessel.
This indicates that the trolling motor must be attached to the transom of the pontoon boat and cannot be fastened to any other component of the boat.
Because of its excellent performance and low noise level, the Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor is a perfect option for installation on a pontoon boat.
Where Do You Put The Trolling Motor On A Pontoon Boat?
If you are looking for a trolling motor that is both powerful and simple to operate, the Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor is an excellent option to consider.
Because this mount is so simple to put on and take off, it is perfect for both recreational and commercial applications.
This motor's horsepower rating is 4, making it an excellent choice for use in larger pontoon boats.
In the event of an accident, the engine will be turned off automatically, protecting it from further damage. This feature is included as standard.
As you can see in the preceding paragraphs, there are a variety of essential aspects to take into account when shopping for a trolling motor to use on a pontoon boat for the purpose of fishing, and these aspects are listed in the order of their importance.
If you give careful consideration to each of the aforementioned aspects before making your purchase decision, you will be able to buy the best product that is tailored specifically to your requirements and goals.
This will allow you to accomplish what you want to accomplish.
We sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading this article, and we wish you the very best of luck as you look for the next trolling motor to add to your arsenal.